New details released after 5-year-old falls overboard on Disney cruise ship

Security footage aligns with statements from the family and cruise staff after a dad jumped into the ocean to save his daughter who fell overboard, authorities said.

WASHINGTON — Florida authorities are sharing new details about the dramatic Disney cruise ship rescue involving a 5-year-old falling overboard and her father jumping into the ocean to save her. 

The Broward Sheriff’s Office said in a statement that the girl “lost her balance while sitting on a railing” and fell “backward through a porthole” while on deck 4 of the Disney Dream on Sunday as it sailed from the Bahamas back to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. 

Authorities had already dismissed false claims online that someone may have been holding the young girl up on the railing before she fell overboard.   

Public Information Officer Veda Coleman-Wright added that the girl’s mother alerted the child’s father, who didn’t witness the fall, and he immediately jumped into the ocean after her. He treaded water until they were rescued by a team from the cruise ship. 

Security video reviewed by detectives corroborates statements from the family and cruise staff, authorities said.

The ship’s “man overboard” alert sounded quickly after the girl fell, and within about 20 minutes, the 37-year-old father and his daughter were brought back on board, the sheriff’s office said.  

Both were evaluated by the ship’s medical team and later transported to a hospital after the ship returned to Fort Lauderdale. The father was hospitalized. Officials have not released the family’s names or where they’re from, except that they’re not from Florida. 

Disney Cruise Line confirmed the rescue in a statement on Monday, commending its crew for their swift response. 

“The Crew aboard the Disney Dream swiftly rescued two guests from the water,” a Disney Cruise Line spokesperson said in a statement. “We commend our Crew Members for their exceptional skills and prompt actions, which ensured the safe return of both guests to the ship within minutes. We are committed to the safety and well-being of our guests, and this incident highlights the effectiveness of our safety protocols.”

“This family is so blessed,” Coleman-Wright said. “It’s great to be able to respond to good news rather than what could have been a tragic outcome.”

The investigation remains ongoing.

Great Job & the Team @ WFAA RSS Feed: news Source link for sharing this story.

NBTX NEWS
NBTX NEWShttps://nbtxnews.com
NBTX NEWS is a local, independent news source focused on New Braunfels, Comal County, and the surrounding Hill Country. It exists to keep people informed about what is happening in their community, especially the stories that shape daily life but often go underreported. Local government decisions, civic actions, education, public safety, development, culture, and community voices are at the center of its coverage. NBTX NEWS is for people who want clear information without spin, clickbait, or national talking points forced onto local issues. It prioritizes accuracy, transparency, and context so readers can understand not just what happened, but why it matters here. The goal is simple: strengthen local awareness, support informed civic participation, and make sure community stories are documented, accessible, and treated with care.

Latest articles

spot_img

Related articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Leave the field below empty!

spot_img
Secret Link