Tesla faces NHTSA probe over Model 3 emergency door handles | Fortune

Tesla Inc.’s door handles are facing renewed scrutiny in the US after federal auto safety regulators opened a probe into the emergency releases in certain Model 3 vehicles.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said it’s evaluating claims that the mechanical door release “is hidden, unlabeled, and not intuitive to locate during an emergency,” according to a filing on the agency’s website. The move stems from a petition filed by Kevin Clouse, a Tesla owner in Georgia who says he was trapped in his vehicle in 2023 and requested a defect investigation. NHTSA said it hasn’t decided whether to grant or deny the petition.

Read More: Tesla Doors Can Trap People Desperate to Escape

The probe covers an estimated 179,071 Model 3 sedans from the 2022 model year.

Tesla and NHTSA didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment.

The move expands on the federal examination of Tesla door problems following a monthslong investigation into the issue by Bloomberg, which uncovered a series of incidents in which people were severely injured or died after becoming trapped in their Teslas. In September, NHTSA opened an investigation into whether the doors are defective in certain Model Y SUVs amid reports of children stuck in vehicles when the 12-volt battery dies. The Model 3 and Model Y are by far Tesla’s top-selling vehicles.

The automaker was a pioneer of electrically powered handles, which can stop functioning without warning, particularly after a crash. A Bloomberg analysis this week found at least 15 deaths in a dozen incidents over the past decade in which occupants or rescuers were unable to open the doors of a Tesla that had crashed and caught fire. 

Bloomberg separately reported that potential safety issues with electric handles were raised with Chief Executive Officer Elon Musk during the development of the Model 3, and that he insisted on the futuristic design, which would include manual releases to mitigate power-loss problems.

Read More: Elon Musk Demanded Tesla’s Electric Doors Despite Safety Worries

Clouse filed a petition last month over a 2023 incident in which he says he had to kick his way out of his burning Model 3 when the doors wouldn’t open. Bloomberg previously cited details of Clouse’s case.

“I was unaware of the location of the hidden mechanical emergency door release because it is not visibly labeled, not explained upon delivery, and not intuitive in an emergency,” he said in a complaint filed with NHTSA. “I was forced to climb to the back seat and break the rear passenger window with my legs to escape while the interior was burning.”

Tesla shares fell 0.7% as of 11:41 a.m. Wednesday in New York.

Great Job Dana Hull, Bloomberg & the Team @ Fortune | FORTUNE Source link for sharing this story.

NBTX NEWS
NBTX NEWShttps://nbtxnews.com
NBTX NEWS is a local, independent news source focused on New Braunfels, Comal County, and the surrounding Hill Country. It exists to keep people informed about what is happening in their community, especially the stories that shape daily life but often go underreported. Local government decisions, civic actions, education, public safety, development, culture, and community voices are at the center of its coverage. NBTX NEWS is for people who want clear information without spin, clickbait, or national talking points forced onto local issues. It prioritizes accuracy, transparency, and context so readers can understand not just what happened, but why it matters here. The goal is simple: strengthen local awareness, support informed civic participation, and make sure community stories are documented, accessible, and treated with care.

Latest articles

spot_img

Related articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Leave the field below empty!

spot_img
Secret Link