Jim Harbaugh Refuses to Comment on Michigan's Heavy Penalties For Sign-Stealing

Jim Harbaugh is refusing to comment on the NCAA’s decision to fine the University of Michigan tens of millions of dollars and to suspend head coach Sherrone Moore for a third game due to the sign-stealing scandal that occurred during Harbaugh’s tenure at his alma mater.

Harbaugh stayed mum on the Wolverines when he stepped to the podium at SoFi Stadium on Saturday night following his Los Angeles Chargers‘ 23-22 preseason loss to the Los Angeles Rams for his first interaction with the media since the NCAA’s rulings were announced Friday.

“Like I said to you last year, not engaging,” Harbaugh said. “Not engaging.”

The NCAA sharply criticized Harbaugh’s stewardship over the winningest program in college football when it announced the sanctions, saying it had “overwhelming” evidence of a cover-up by the Michigan staff. Harbaugh has always claimed he didn’t know about the sign-stealing and scouting operation run by Connor Stalions.

Michigan only avoided a multi-year postseason ban because the NCAA decided it wasn’t fair to the Wolverines’ current student-athletes to penalize them for the misdeeds during Harbaugh’s tenure, which culminated in a national championship in January 2024.

He jumped back to the NFL two weeks later with the Chargers, and the NCAA hit him in August 2024 with a four-year show-cause order for recruiting violations. Harbaugh now faces a 10-year show-cause order following the conclusion of the four-year order, which effectively serves as a 14-year ban from college football.

Michigan has said it will appeal the NCAA’s decision, claiming the body has made errors in interpreting its own bylaws while drawing conclusions that are contrary to evidence.

Moore was Harbaugh’s assistant for six years before getting the top job upon Harbaugh’s departure. Moore will be suspended for two games this September and for the Wolverines’ 2026 season opener in Germany.

Reporting by The Associated Press.

Want great stories delivered right to your inbox? Create or log in to your FOX Sports account, follow leagues, teams and players to receive a personalized newsletter daily.

What did you think of this story?



Get more from the College Football Follow your favorites to get information about games, news and more


Great Job & the Team @ FOX Sports Digital Source link for sharing this story.

NBTX NEWS
NBTX NEWShttps://nbtxnews.com
NBTX NEWS is a local, independent news source focused on New Braunfels, Comal County, and the surrounding Hill Country. It exists to keep people informed about what is happening in their community, especially the stories that shape daily life but often go underreported. Local government decisions, civic actions, education, public safety, development, culture, and community voices are at the center of its coverage. NBTX NEWS is for people who want clear information without spin, clickbait, or national talking points forced onto local issues. It prioritizes accuracy, transparency, and context so readers can understand not just what happened, but why it matters here. The goal is simple: strengthen local awareness, support informed civic participation, and make sure community stories are documented, accessible, and treated with care.

Latest articles

spot_img

Related articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Leave the field below empty!

spot_img
Secret Link