Maduro open to US talks on drug trafficking, but silent on CIA strike

CARACAS – Venezuela is open to negotiating an agreement with the United States to combat drug trafficking, the South American country’s President Nicolás Maduro said in a pretaped interview aired Thursday on state television, but he declined to comment on a CIA-led strike last week at a Venezuelan docking area that the Trump administration believed was used by cartels.

Maduro, in an interview with Spanish journalist Ignacio Ramonet, reiterated that the U.S. wants to force a government change in Venezuela and gain access to its vast oil reserves through the monthslong pressure campaign that began with a massive military deployment to the Caribbean Sea in August.

“What are they seeking? It is clear that they seek to impose themselves through threats, intimidation and force,” Maduro said, later adding that it is time for both nations to “start talking seriously, with data in hand.”

“The U.S. government knows, because we’ve told many of their spokespeople, that if they want to seriously discuss an agreement to combat drug trafficking, we’re ready,” he said. “If they want oil, Venezuela is ready for U.S. investment, like with Chevron, whenever they want it, wherever they want it and however they want it.”

Chevron Corp. is the only major oil company exporting Venezuelan crude to the U.S. Venezuela has the world’s largest proven oil reserves.

The interview was taped on New Year’s Eve, the same day the U.S. military announced strikes against five alleged drug-smuggling boats. The latest attacks bring the total number of known boat strikes to 35 and the number of people killed to at least 115, according to numbers announced by the Trump administration. Venezuelans are among the victims.

President Donald Trump has justified the attacks as a necessary escalation to stem the flow of drugs into the United States and asserted that the U.S. is engaged in an “armed conflict” with drug cartels. The strikes began off Venezuela’s Caribbean coast and later expanded to the eastern Pacific Ocean.

Meanwhile, the CIA was behind a drone strike last week at a docking area believed to have been used by Venezuelan drug cartels, according to two people familiar with details of the operation who requested anonymity to discuss the classified matter. It was the first known direct operation on Venezuelan soil since the boat strikes began, a significant escalation in the administration’s pressure campaign on Maduro, who has been charged with narco-terrorism in the U.S.

Asked about the operation on Venezuelan soil, Maduro said he could “talk about it in a few days.”

___

Associated Press writer Aamer Madhani contributed to this report from Washington.

Copyright 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without permission.

Great Job Regina Garcia Cano, Associated Press & the Team @ KSAT San Antonio for sharing this story.

NBTX NEWS
NBTX NEWShttps://nbtxnews.com
NBTX NEWS is a local, independent news source focused on New Braunfels, Comal County, and the surrounding Hill Country. It exists to keep people informed about what is happening in their community, especially the stories that shape daily life but often go underreported. Local government decisions, civic actions, education, public safety, development, culture, and community voices are at the center of its coverage. NBTX NEWS is for people who want clear information without spin, clickbait, or national talking points forced onto local issues. It prioritizes accuracy, transparency, and context so readers can understand not just what happened, but why it matters here. The goal is simple: strengthen local awareness, support informed civic participation, and make sure community stories are documented, accessible, and treated with care.

Latest articles

spot_img

Related articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Leave the field below empty!

spot_img
Secret Link