Trump names Warsh, Hassett as top Fed contenders, WSJ says | Fortune

President Donald Trump said that Kevin Hassett and Kevin Warsh are his top choices to lead the US Federal Reserve and that he expects the next chair of the central bank to consult with him on interest rates.

Trump, in an interview with the Wall Street Journal on Friday, indicated that Warsh, a former Fed governor, has climbed up the short list of contenders to challenge Hassett, the White House National Economic Council head whom many had seen as the frontrunner for the job.

“I think the two Kevins are great,” he said. “I think there are a couple of other people that are great.”

Trump previously signaled that he already made up his mind, saying Monday he had a “a pretty good idea” of who to nominate. The president last month also said he knew who he would pick for the job. The latest comments suggest that the selection process remains in flux. 

Trump met with Warsh on Wednesday. It’s not clear if Trump plans to interview other candidates for the job.

Earlier: Trump Says He’ll Meet Warsh as Fed Chair Search Nears End

The president said Warsh told him that borrowing costs should be lower. 

Later in the Oval Office, Trump said the next Fed chair should consult with him on interest rates, a move that would upend a tradition of the Fed’s independence.

“I’ve been very successful, and I think my role should be at least that of recommending — they don’t have to follow what I say,” Trump told reporters, adding he expected to make a choice “over the next few weeks.”

“I think my voice should be heard, but I’m not going to make the decision based on that,” he continued.

Trump has moved to assert control over the central bank in his second term, regularly expressing frustration that the Fed has not more aggressively reduced borrowing costs under Chair Jerome Powell.

Trump, in the Journal interview, called for aggressively lowering rates, saying they should be “1% and maybe lower than that.”

The Fed on Wednesday lowered its benchmark rate to between 3.5% and 3.75%, its third cut in as many meetings. Three central bank officials dissented from the decision and the Federal Open Market Committee remains undecided about further reductions.

Great Job Jennifer A. Dlouhy, Bloomberg & the Team @ Fortune | FORTUNE Source link for sharing this story.

NBTX NEWS
NBTX NEWShttps://nbtxnews.com
NBTX NEWS is a local, independent news source focused on New Braunfels, Comal County, and the surrounding Hill Country. It exists to keep people informed about what is happening in their community, especially the stories that shape daily life but often go underreported. Local government decisions, civic actions, education, public safety, development, culture, and community voices are at the center of its coverage. NBTX NEWS is for people who want clear information without spin, clickbait, or national talking points forced onto local issues. It prioritizes accuracy, transparency, and context so readers can understand not just what happened, but why it matters here. The goal is simple: strengthen local awareness, support informed civic participation, and make sure community stories are documented, accessible, and treated with care.

Latest articles

spot_img

Related articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Leave the field below empty!

spot_img
Secret Link